Sunday, July 5, 2009

Cancer

This horrible word entered my life for real in 2004. I had heard of it before, and my mom had had it in 1999 but they were able to cut it all out. It was just a small bump in our lives.
2004 came with my dad suddenly haveing numbness and one side of his face going completely slack.
So the tests started, they found a tumor in his brain, so the journey began, surgery, chemo radiation. nothing worked, he had a seizure in Aug, which completely paralized the left side of his body. he stopped his treatments. they said he would live 3 weeks, he lived till Nov 14. it was a long painful journey for him and my mom and i. my mom and i took care of him at home.

jump to 2006, from the start of the year i didnt feel right, i had 2 lymphnodes that had been large for many years and all the docs told me not to worry about them. well spring of 06 i started to have hurting bones and night sweats. then one night lying in bed i felt a small lump in my abdomin, every day i checked it and it kept getting larger and causeing pain in that area, my primary care doc put me on several rounds of antibotics. i got to where i was so tired i didnt want to get out of bed.
He finally sent me to a gynocologist, thinking it was female problems, that doc started an examin then stopped cuz it was so painful for me, then he told me that there was nothing he could do bacuase it was not female problems and he was sending me to a surgion to have that thing taken out.
so i went to the surgion. he asked me if lymphoma ran in my family, i told him i didnt even know that that was, he explained that it was cancer, i said no noone in my family had ever had that.
a week later he did surgery and removed 2 tumors from my abdomin.
a week later he called and told us that i had non-hodgkins lymphoma.
He told me that i needed to have another surgery to have a port put in my chest for chemo and made me an appointment with a oncologist. i also had to have a bone marrow test
so i had the surgery and met that oncologist in the same week, my cancer was stage 4 wide spread.
i started chemo Oct 06, i took 7 months of chemo, 1 time a month, 6 drugs.
then it showed that it was in remission, the oncologist wanted to do 1 drug 4 times a month every 6 months for the next 2 years.
Now we are in 2009, in jan my husband found a bump in my left upper arm so i asked the oncologist about it, he said it was a fatty tumor not to worry about it, but it kept growing, so i kept at him about it.
i went to see my surgieon in june to schedule a surgery to get the port taken out of my chest and asked him about the "fatty tumor" that was still growing in my arm, he too thought it was a fatty tumor as you dont have lymphnodes in that part of your body. I told him i wanted it taken out anyway, he said ok
he did the suregery a week later and took the port out of my chest, as well as the tumor out of my arm, he called the next day, pathology had called him right away and said that AGAIN it was lymphoma, now we are waiting to see what kind of lymphoma it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment